Friday, February 3, 2017

Happy Days

Summer has ended and I am left to ponder if our summer made a difference for the kids. June was extremely busy with Evan in T-ball (which he loved), Hannah had summer school four days a week, Hyrum, Michael, Molli, and Hannah were busy with the musical "Joseph and the Amazing Techni-color Dream Coat" which they all had so much fun with. I was in the pit for that and really enjoyed watching my kids on stage. I felt bad that Evan couldn't be in it, he would have loved it. He was only 7 years old and the age requirement was 8 (however, I saw many children under age 8 in it). Robert really enjoyed having Evan home to help with Jonathan and Jacob and I did let Evan go to the production twice- he could sing some of the songs with the kids by the time it was all over :).

After the play, Molli had to focus on a summer school class of health. We had to cram the class in two weeks instead of four because of Girl's camp and Molli heading to California. That was a very long two weeks and stressful trying to get it all in. When it is all said and done, she got a B on the final and I think an A- in the class. Hooray! We decided to skip the next session of summer school and focus on summer.

During the last two days of the play, Michael had Scout Camp so Robert and I took turns the first part of the week and drove him about an hour away to camp, Robert stayed the first day and brought him back home, the next morning Robert took him back up, I picked him up that night, and Robert took him back up the next morning and he was finally able to stay the rest of camp. He had to miss another scouting activity that he wanted to go to because of the play, so I promised him no play this next summer and scouting it is.

Molli went to Girl's Camp on July 5th, we didn't get home from the 4th of July festivities until 1:30AM and that is the same day (July 5th) she took her Health final, so she was pretty tired heading off to camp. She got home from that and we did her laundry and two days later she was off to California for a visit with her cousin. It was her first solo flight and I was nervous for her, but we made it work out that she took the shuttle with Michael to Salt Lake (he stayed there that week to help my parents), so Molli could fly Southwest out of Salt Lake, meet my sister on the layover in Phoenix and then continue to California. She flew through Phoenix on the way back as well so my sister could help her with that layover as well. Michael and Molli both had a great time.

Hannah after a day at Zoo camp
I felt bad that Hannah didn't get to go anywhere, so I signed her up for a Zoo Education class that week. She was gone from about 8:30 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon each day. What was I thinking?! Now I had no babysitters left :), but it all worked out. Hannah also really enjoyed her time at the camp. 

Don't worry, Hyrum and Evan were not left out of the fun. The first week of August we headed to St. George to visit another sister and her family. Robert drove down with Molli, Michael, Hannah, Jacob, and Jonathan and the next day I flew down to Las Vegas with Hyrum and Evan and took a shuttle to St. George. It was Hyrum and Evan's first flight and they loved it! I got a little confused on the timing of the shuttle, so I hurried the boys out of the airport just to sit around and wait. I wish I would have let them watch the planes more. 

We watched "Peter Pan" at Tuacahn. This was a vacation with 8 months in the planning. Where Molli had just finished being in "Peter Pan" with our community right before Christmas last year, I thought it would be fun to see it from the outside perspective. I actually like our production a lot better, but both were very good.

Molli and Michael first day of school.
Hannah, Hyrum, Evan first day of school.
So, that was our summer. School has started now - uh, about 5 months ago, actually. Molli is adjusting to High School and I am adjusting to having her there. Michael fit right in with starting middle school. Hannah enjoys 6th grade, but her teacher had a baby about three weeks ago and won't be back to school until April, so Hannah doesn't really like the substitutes. Hyrum is in the 4th grade, Evan is in 2nd, and the two boys keep me busy at home.

Evan was baptized in November and coming with turning 8, he also gets to attend scouts now. He also is trying his had at basketball for the first time. He has mixed feelings about that. Hyrum  and Evan just started Chess Club this week. Hannah plays the clarinet in beginning band so that keeps her busy four days after school, she also is still taking piano lessons. She is very much looking forward to starting Young Women's in May and going to Girl's camp with Molli in June. Michael goes on a scout overnight campout once a month and tonight he gets to maybe sleep in a snow cave. He is still keeping up on the flute and is working on his audition pieces for the youth symphony try-out in May. Jonathan loves to play out in the snow.

Hoover Dam Bridge
Las Vegas Temple
For Christmas, church was cancelled. Too much snow. That was okay, we just headed out to Hyde Park a bit earlier than we would have. We left the kids with Grandma and Grandpa and Robert and I headed to Las Vegas. I was hoping for warmth, but 64* would just have to do. I guess I shouldn't complain - that is an 80* difference from what we left in Idaho Falls :).

We have had record snowfall this year and three snow days already - two because it was below -20* F with the windchill, and one because we had received about 10-12 inches of snow the night before.  If there are any more snow days, they will have to go a few extra days at the end of the year. I hope that doesn't happen because the three oldest get to participate in the Youth Culture Celebration for the re-dedication of the Idaho Falls Temple in June and the dress rehearsal in Pocatello is on the last day of school as it is. I am so looking forward to our temple being opened again. It has been closed almost two years and will be over two years by the time it opens again. Can't wait! 

Jakey's new "violin"
A handcart at the campsite.
Robert is still plugging away at work and gets to go to Detroit this March for a conference, and then Anaheim in October for another one. I am still playing my violin in the Idaho Falls Symphony, and other community productions. I have 11 students currently and that makes my weeks full. We are looking forward to Spring Break when we can get away from the snow for awhile and head to San Diego. Life is good, and I think that catches y'all up on our life, busy, but happy.

Now here are some random pictures for your enjoyment. 
The kids playing Ring around the Rosie
Evan's toasted marsh mellow face


Trying on Halloween costumes.
Hyrum got to race the mascot at the baseball game.
Evan getting his baptism pictures taken.
Jacob and Jonathan at a park while the kids were at school.
Yellowstone Bear World
At Tuacahn waiting for "Peter Pan" to start.


2 comments:

  1. Fun to see a new post! You guys sound soooo busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted. You post once a year, I read blogs about twice a year...it works out perfectly for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete