Sunday, December 16, 2012

Jonathan David Esplin is here!

Wow, two posts in a month, that is pretty impressive for me. Well, our biggest news is that our baby boy was born on December 10, 2012. He and Michael have a day apart birthdays, but that is okay. As following with tradition, he was a big boy - 10 lbs 7 oz and 21 inches long. Also, following tradition, we chose a name for him after he was born. The conversation went something like this: Time: About 10 minutes after the baby was born. In the room: just Robert and I and perhaps a nurse. Me: "So, really, what are we going to name him?" (some names we had come up with but never really stuck were anything that sounded decent with an "E" to start out with - not too many of those, but Ezekiel almost sounded right, calling him "Zeke" for short, Andrew is what the kids liked, Pinocchio made the list only because it ended in "O" - side note - MichaeL,  HyruM, EvaN, so naturally something with an O at the end would come next. Less of those American names than names that start with "E". )

Robert looks down at the baby for a bit and says, "Jonathan." Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that one since Michael almost got that name (I had already put a J on the birth certificate when Robert says, "No, no - Michael Johnson Esplin". Okay, I will cross out the J and write Michael instead). So, Jonathan for a first name. I then suggested David for a middle name. Robert was thinking more along the lines of Barton - his middle name and the middle name Michael would have gotten had he been named Jonathan.  David is my dad's name and where the "D" comes from in my name. My dad had five daughters and no sons so not too many people he  could pass the "David" to. I told Robert to think about it and I would think about Barton. I found out that Robert agreed with "David" when I read his post on facebook announcing the birth of Jonathan David Esplin. The name works for our little one.

He is a really good baby so far. I guess even though Evan is four years old, I still remember that he was not such a good baby. Even in the hospital when he was born he was a screecher. I would hear the nurses bringing him back to my room and he would be screeching all the while. I just prayed that they were going to the next room over and not mine. No such luck. So Jonathan is the complete opposite of  that. He sleeps when I want him to, he eats when I want him to, and the kids love him to pieces. Except Evan. He just can't seem to like the baby, and that is okay with me. I will still make more of a conscious effort to have more one on one time with Evan.

Without further ado, here are some pictures of him at the hospital. He has been home for three days now and I still haven't taken many pictures of him here, so I will have to take some and post them later.













No comments:

Post a Comment